Thursday, August 10, 2006

Sadness, etc.

So, it's GenCon time. Sigh. When I was 15 years old, in 1986, my friend Mike Caparula asked me to go along with him to the Con. His brother, Joe, had written some articles for Dragon, and a GURPS book for Steve Jackson (Riverworld), and was in the process of writing a Shire sourcebook for ICE's MERP game. He had invited Mike (and me, as his guest) to stay with him in Madison, and ride into the Con in Milwaukee with him and his wife. That was a magic weekend. I was blown away by everything about the event. Amazing dealer room, awesome miniatures gaming scenarios... It was a great time. And I haven't missed a year since.

Until now. With the wedding and the move this summer, and living a fat 16+ hour drive away now, GenCon just came to be too big of a financial burden at the wrong time. It might have been different if more of my old friends were going, but as it stands, Jef Smith can't make it due to a broken arm, Sean Wolfe isn't going because of one of his kids being sick, and I don't think Fred Hooper was going. Maybe he just wasn't going to get a booth. He's probably not going. I got pretty sad reading a GenCon report on Boardgamenews, that had some pictures. I'd so love to be there. I thought about the $500 or so it would cost me to go (estimated total) for Saturday and Sunday, and just couldn't justify it. This sets up a side discussion - what makes something "important?" When is it worth it to spend money for experience? I might spend the money to go to a wedding, but I feel so guilty spending it on, basically, games... but, how much of my happiness comes from games, and isn't happiness what it's all about? Maybe next year, I'll make sure everyone's going, get my ticket in advance, etc.. So, I'm going to console myself by making the game order I was thinking about.

It looks like I'm going with Thoughthammer, and the list is still being finalized, but looks like it will include Commands & Colors Ancients and Santiago for sure, with Struggle of Empires, Reef Encounter, and Tempus vying for the final slots to make up the balance for free shipping. Age of Steam is out of stock, otherwise that would be in the "for sure" column.

While shopping around, I noted that some games I really am interested in are not available from Thoughthammer. Canal Mania, Streetsoccer, and Lost Valley are all to be had from Bouldergames, though, so I've only to wait for the first two to come back into stock before making that order...

One other note, while shopping around, of course, I went to check Boardgamegeek. Still down. I don't necessarily base my purchases on their ratings, but it's nice to be able to read some more personal comments and see some more pictures before shelling out for something you haven't played. I check BGG every day, and it's especially informative at times like these. I'm wondering, if you, dear reader, will share, how much BGG going down effects your day?

Well, I'm off to do some more organizing of my stuff. I hope that everyone is staying cool inside, and has some nice plans to get some gaming in this weekend. Of course, if you're at GenCon, I hope you will have a great time, and don't forget to go to the retro diner and duck pin bowling alley in Fountain Square!

GG, GL
JW

2 comments:

Burninator23 said...

Thanks for the info. I took a look at Boards & Bits. They should be up soon. I'm contenting myself with looking at convention reports and pictures on boardgamenews and gamingreport. Hopefully, more of the people I know will be going next year...

I saw the news about Peter's invitation to the electronic gaming industry, post changes in E3. I'm going to predict that the electronic presence at GenCon won't grow drastically, and, if it does, the con won't let it eclipse tabletop gaming - they'll just make the dealer area bigger, or something...

Burninator23 said...

Chris, I'm so happy for you. I'm glad someone did exactly what I wanted to do. I'll be there next year, for sure. I just met a gamer who's going to teach some of us 1826 in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to it.