Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Sadly, no gaming to report.

I just don't have time to play any games right now, unfortunately. And I am, really, sad about it. Actually, I'm just sad to be leaving behind the community of gamers I've come to know over just the past few months.

I do have downtime at work to think about games, though, and boy have I been using it.

Just from random reading of boardgamegeek, I came across a new game today that really piqued my interest. It's Canal Mania, from Ragnar Brothers. On it's way to the U.S.A. right now, apparently. I'll let you look it up on BGG, but it is consistently referred to as using elements of Age of Steam and Ticket to Ride, simplified, to create a route building/pickup and deliver game based on a theme of 18th century British canals. A rail game without the rails.

Looking at Boardgamenews today, I found out that Eagle Games is going out of business, and their inventory is being liquidated at auction. There are a couple of games they publish that I've been interested in - Railroad Tycoon and Struggle of Empires. So, now, I'm thinking, should I look at placing some sort of order?

So, I'm thinking about getting games. I thought I'd put my "want list" up here, and anyone who's interested could post and give feedback. I'm not including Canal Mania, because it doesn't appear that any of the U.S. distributors have it yet.

- These aren't really in any particular order -

-Commands & Colors Ancients (40% off at Thoughthammer until the end of July)
-Struggle of Empires (could it become hard to find?)
-Age of Steam (another rail game, similar to, and by the same designer, as Railroad Tycoon)
-Santiago (an interesting game I've wanted since the first time I played, a gamer's game with a crop irrigation theme)


A couple games on the list that aren't widely available currently:
-Reef Encounter (A heavy game that I've really enjoyed playing on sbw)
-Caylus (A gamer's game of city building, should be avaiable any time)

Well, help me out. Look them up and give me some comments. Who knows, maybe I'll get to bring them back when I visit...

GG, GL

1 comment:

Burninator23 said...

landstander,
Thanks for the comments. They're actually quite helpful. I've re-prioritized my possible game order, based on your comments and some other factors.

I'm a little curious - how did you come across my blog?