Wednesday, February 15, 2006

I've rarely been able to make it to board game night at Critical Hit, but tonight was an exception that should soon, hopefully, prove the rule. The featured game this evening was Citadels, from FFG. Chris Schaeffer brought his copy in and taught us all to play.

It was a big, 7-player game, and I was curious to see how it would work out. I don't normally have that many people for a gaming session, but there have been times when it's occurred, and I need some more games to fill in that player number slot.

I've heard a lot of positive chatter about the game, and it didn't disappoint. The turns went quick, and there's a moderate level of involvement in other peoples' activities, at least for some of the roles. I never felt board or out of the game, although I did feel a little scatterbrained, which I'll take the easy route and blame on my long work day. The building started immediately, but it was very hard to predict who was doing well until the 4th or 5th round, when some players had a clear advantage in districts played. The woman to my right, whose name I unfortunately have failed to remember, built a few big buildings and became a target. I failed to manage my hand well, and suffered from the Magician on two or three turns. The session was very tight, with people pretty close on points. I managed to stay just close enough to be in contention, but far enough behind to not be a target of aggression. Thankfully, turn order fell well for me, and I was able to force the end game, going to eight districts first with all five colors on the table. It tied me on points for first with another player (Gary or Greg, I have to get better with names!), but I won on the gold tiebreaker. There was a shuffling of seats as two players left to play Eurorails with Nate and Ruxton, and another went to work on her laptop, and three new players joined. I felt I had a little clearer handle on the roles in this game, but I failed to impose myself on the role choices, and ended up in the same position for extended periods of time, forced into sub-optimal roles. I think this game suffered (as the first one probably did without me noticing it) from some poor decision making on the part of some of the new players (assassinating the wrong role, etc.). I got really stuck with an unfortunate collection of buildings, and just couldn't get ahead. An unlucky assassination in a turn when I finally had the merchant (four other players were ahead of me at that point) really put me down. Jerod, sitting to my right, triggered the end game with all five colors. I made it to eight, and all five colors also, but it wasn't nearly enough. Unfortunately for Jerod, it wasn't enough for him, either, as Kirk, sitting to our left two seats, snuck in under the radar to pip the game by, I think, two points.

I really did enjoy the game. Our games were both tense, close affairs, and there was enough hidden information and randomness to keep us guessing, coupled with enough important choices to keep it provocative. I would happily play it again, and it should join my collection soon to fill the abovementioned slot, if nothing else.

Next Wednesday is Robo Rally - I still only have the 1st edition, and am hoping someone brings the new one. With any luck, I'll get in a game or two this weekend, hopefully finally breaking in my copies of Tigris and Euphrates and/or Lunatix Loop (a gamer can dream, can't he).

No comments: